New Add-on: NodeSet Pro

I am pleased to announce that NodeSet Pro is available from my BlenderMarket store.

NodeSet Pro is based on my original free NodeSet add-on published in 2017 but was completely rewritten to ease maintenance. The configuration options and functionality where also greatly enhanced, notably with possibilities to work with custom, packed maps, connect to arbitrary nodegroups instead of just the principled shader, add UVMap nodes and Flip Normal nodes and more. Basically you should be able to configure it to your specific workflow needs, regardless what texturing software you are using.

NodeSet Pro will reduce material creation to a few simple clicks while still allowing you to fully tweak the resulting material. Out of the box it will work with texture sets created with Substance Painter’s Metallic/Roughness work flow and its Specular/Gloss workflow but almost every node generation feature can be tweaked to fit your specific workflow and texturing software.

Instead of importing textures like basecolor, normalmap, roughness, etc. one by one, with NodeSet Pro you will only need to select a single texture and textures with the same base name will be loaded as well. NodeSet Pro will also apply non-color data options to texture maps that need this, create normal map and bump nodes and wire everything up to a shader.

A small lake

on the right side of the layout a small lake is taking shape. The water is clear resin on top of a coated underground, the plants on the shores are Noch lasercut minis. More small trees and shrubs will be added but i think the first steps already look quite pleasing.

20160131_13124420160131_131215

Tagged with: , ,

New buildings

bought two buildings recently, both by Faller. the station in the picture below shows my initial attempts at weathering, the coaling station is still without any paint.

2015-04-26 09.31.062015-04-26 09.30.57

Tagged with: ,

Tunnel entrance

Started working on the tunnel entrance

2015-03-01 15.49.10

Tagged with: , ,

Finishing a 3D printed lamp post

Painting such small detail is fiddly and I am not quite content with the resulting look yet:

2015-02-01 09.36.49

Although it is often said that glossiness plays no role in distant viewing I think the paint on these lamp posts should be slightly glossy and not have the matte look that is has now. It is also very difficult to paint the vertical edges along the ‘glass panes’. Finally this lamp post needed two coats of acryllic to block any stray light  from the LED. (The LED I used earlier on was way to faint, I have fitted it now with a 3mm round yellow led of 250 mcd brightness.

Tagged with: , , ,

Progress

Added a small storage section for firewood to the farm. This close-up shows there is still some detailing to be done: the corner of the walls doesn’t look too good and obviously we need to do something to the gap between the farm an d the ground. As per usual the glue again is not dried up and visible behind the wood blocks. I also planted some bright blue flowers (delphiniums?) and there are some out-of-focus chickens running about.

woodblocks

The bridge meanwhile got its fist wash of colors, heavily diluted with matte medium. When it is dry I will apply a second dark wash to bring out the grouting some more.

bridge first wash

Tagged with: , ,

3D printed models: Stone bridge and Lamp post

Two models I designed in Blender and had printed at Shapeways.com came in yesterday. The lamp post is designed to hold a standard 3mm round LED and therefore has a removable top cover to make it possible to insert the LED. The post of the lamp is hollow and just wide enough for two twisted 0.9mm outer diameter wires. Unlike the bridge the lamp post is printed in Frosted Ultra Detail which allows for really fine detailing like the rivets on the foot of the post (barely visible on the picture).

If all works out satisfactorily I might offer these models in a Shapeways shop.

bridge shapewayslamp post shapeways

Tagged with: , , ,

The finished well

the well truned out quite ok:

2015-01-11 14.08.42

2015-01-11 14.19.39

note that in both pictures there are still some wet globs of PVA glue visible. When i decide on the final position of the well in the meadow i will add some weeds and a muddy path leading to it.

I liked working with DAS clay so one of the next steps will be to fashion some sort of drinking trough for the cattle and i have plans to create some sort of old ruin elsewhere on the layout, also from clay.

Tagged with: , , ,

A well

A small well made from clay, match sticks and some leftover pieces of roof.

image

still needs some painting of course.

Tagged with: ,

Apple tree

I created an apple tree from soldered copper wire, glue plus plaster and poly fiber. Now I added some aplpes made from colored mustard seeds:

appletree

Tagged with: ,
Top